Zimbabwe Gov’t Apologizes to Kenyan YouTuber After Immigration Officers Tried to Extort Her

AA37791D-618B-4DF7-B6BD-122A25E87C6D.png

Zimbabwe has apologized to Kenyan YouTuber and blogger Marceline Masanya following her recent encounter at Robert Mugabe International Airport.

Through social media, Marceline called out an immigration official at the airport for trying to extort a bribe from her by withholding her passport.

Marceline, who goes by the name African Tigress on Twitter, said the officer alleged that Kenyan illegal immigrants have a habit of using Zimbabwe as a gateway to South Africa.

“I told her I only have US$50, which was for my transportation from the airport to the Airbnb. I came to realize they were trying to intimidate me so I can give them something,” Marceline said.

Zimbabwe’ Home Affairs and Cultural Heritage ministry said an investigation had been launched and apologized to the Kenyan national.

“Investigations are currently underway to ascertain all the facts. Anyone caught on the wrong side of the law will be dealt with accordingly,” the Ministry said.

“We sincerely apologise for the ordeal that our fellow sister was subjected to. The alleged bribery attempts by Immigration officials are not only deplorable but out of sync with the expected ethical conduct by staff manning our ports of entry and exit. The alleged unprofessional and criminal conduct by the Immigration officers does not reflect our attitudes and decorum as a nation towards our visitors.”