PS Kibicho Denies Blocking Deputy President William Ruto from Flying to Uganda

Nelly

Interior PS Karanja Kibicho has denied involvement in the blocking of Deputy President William Ruto from traveling to Uganda on Monday.

Speaking on Wednesday, Kibicho made it clear that his was office was not behind the incident that saw Ruto get stranded at Wilson Airport for five hours before canceling the trip.

He indicated that the deputy president may have been barred from flying to Uganda for presenting inadequate documents to immigration officers at the airport.

“I’ll say this, before you travel, you need to have a Visa, a ticket, a COVID-19 free certificate, and if you’re a civil servant, you need to have a letter of clearance from the Head of Public Service. If he actually had all those, I would be surprised that he was stopped,” said Kibicho.

But in a radio interview on Wednesday, Ruto asserted that does not need any State clearance to make a private trip abroad. Ruto argued that he has been making such personal visits to various countries since 2013 without being asked for clearance.

Responding to this, PS Kibicho said, “I don’t know whether he (Ruto) has been having them (documents) because I have not been checking. We’re not the ones who actually clear him, but if he passes through an immigration officer, they will demand that letter. If he ever traveled without them, the immigration officer failed, and you can’t accuse another one who has chosen not to fail, but those are facts I don’t have.”