Kenyan Nurse in the Diaspora Builds Posh Apartment Building in Mombasa with Ocean Views After Saving for 20 Years

MajorBoko

Kenyan Nurse in the Diaspora Builds Posh ApartmentBuilding in Mombasa with Ocean Views After Saving for 20 Years
nurse.png

A Kenyan healthcare professional based in Australia has opened up on how she managed to build a multi-million-shilling apartment building in Mombasa with ocean views.

Veronicah Mumira, who hails from Mombasa, shared her success story during a recent interview on Alex Chamwada’s Daring Abroad show.

Mumira, a nurse by profession, says she had to save money for 20 years to put up Georgia Luxury Apartments along the Mombasa-Malindi highway.

She did not get any bank loans to finance the project, which consists of 28 three-bedroom apartments with three bathrooms, and a servant quarter each.

"I did not borrow any loans so the money I had saved is what helped me fund the project in Kenya. It has not been easy but I was very determined,” Mumira said.

"I wanted to show Kenyans that even though one door is not opened, you can still push yourself to the limit and make it happen.”

The 40-year-old says she monitored the construction of the apartments through CCTV cameras.

"I monitored the project on CCTV cameras. I know what is happening on the ground, zooming during management meetings so it has been great," she said.

Mumira moved to Aussie in 2001 to further her studies, which saw her enroll for a Nursing Science degree at Notre Dame University. After her graduation, she secured a job with Australia’s Department of Health.

She later went back to college to take a diploma in midwifery, and after working for five years, she decided to start a healthcare recruitment agency dubbed Auscare Group, which employs hundreds of people in Western Australia, including her compatriots.

Auscare, which is based in Perth, recruits professional healthcare and hospitality industry workers such as chefs, who offer services in health facilities. Today, Auscare Group has a workforce of about 400, with a quarter of them being Kenyan natives.

Mumira also ventured into the real estate sector, where she develops and sells properties in Australia and Kenya.