"I Was Not Accepted": Dr. Samuel Njenga Explains Why He Chose to Invest in Kenya Instead of the UK

Blindspots

"I Was Not Accepted": Dr. Samuel NjengaExplains Why He Chose to Invest in KenyaInstead of the UK
pjimage - 2021-06-30T151754.830.jpg

Kenyan pastor Dr. Samuel Njenga has opened up on why he has not invested in the UK despite living there for three decades.

Njenga was initially keen on investing in the UK, but he changed his mind due to how the systems treated him and people of color. Instead, he chose to invest back in Kenya where he feels accepted.

“What made me think of investing back home was, if you travel to a place and you are not accepted, you will be foolish to invest there,” Njenga said on Metha Ya Kagoni YouTube show.

He added: “When I saw I am not accepted here; I had to think of my country where I am accepted. I said I would plow back my money home. So who loses? It is the host country.”

Njenga, who is in his 60s, says he started preparing for retirement when in his 30s. He moved to the UK on a visitor’s visa in 1990 when immigration rules were not as strict as they are today.

Njenga, who was born and raised in Dagoretti, Nairobi, decided to stay in the UK where he studied theology and later became a reverend at the Church of England.

While at the theology school, he would work at night and attend classes during the day. He had just met his wife and had their first kid.

Njenga, who describes life abroad as “fast-paced” and “draining”, says Kenyans in the diaspora must have discipline to make it in life.