Former IEBC Commissioner Roselyn Akombe Reveals Why She Resigned Amidst Hotly Contested 2017 Elections

ThePuma

Screenshot_20221212_194306_Opera News.jpgKenya Electoral Agency, Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission(IEBC) is an institution under siege following its continued push and pull among its senior staff over the 2022 general elections presidential results outcome.

With the resignation of three of its four disserting commissioners, previous senior employees continue to weigh why there are a lot of unresolved battles within the commission.

Former IEBC Commissioner Roselyn Akombe who resigned moments after the hotly contested 2017 general elections has revealed why she decided to resign at a moment when presidential results she had overseen were being contested at Supreme Court.

A twitter user identified as Steve Biko questioned Akombe of why she used a position as a commissioner to get a job at the United Nations at the expense of Kenyans by allegedly bungling the 2017 elections contested by former President Uhuru Kenyatta and Raila Odinga.

In her response, Akombe said that IEBC senior officials were undermant to listen to some electoral issues she had raised forcing her to walk out.

"First, I was consistent in raising the issues around the 2017 election. I resigned when I realized that I could not change much from inside. Second, I had job I loved with the UN before joining IEBC. I simply went back! Here is your chance to apply for the @IEBCKenya posts!!" she responded to an online user.

Currently, IEBC is facing a similar incident with Vice-Chairperson Julian Cherera, Francis Wanderi and Justus Nyang'any'a have resigned accusing IEBC Boss Wafula Chebukati of further running the electoral agency in a dictatorial manner.

During the 2022 elections, Cherera, Wangeri, Nyang'any'a and Irene Masit walked out of Bomas of Kenya and held a press conference at Serena Hotel where they accused Chebukati of running the elections as a one man and ignoring their views.

While disserting the results, they termed the outcome as 'opaque'.