Agriculture CS Mithika Linturi Defends Himself After his Name was Dragged Into Maize Importation Saga

ThePuma

Agriculture Cabinet Secretary nominee Franklin Mithika Linturi appearing for vetting at the Na...jpg
Photo: Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mithika Linturi.

Since 1960s Kenya has been rocked with many scandals revolving around maize importation and exportation.
In 1960s, Kenya was a known worldwide exporter of Maize to countries such as Japan not until the late Paul Ngei and and his wife Emma Ngei in 1965 were involved in a saga that left the country crawling into its knees forcing the government to import yellow maize from USA in order to fill a gap of 250,000-bag shortage needed in the country.
Today, Trade Cabinet Secretary Moses Kuria and his Agriculture counterpart Mithika Linturi are in a brick of falling into another maize scandal that has brought the opposition led by Martha Karua on their toes.
k9D1d0vpmLbzELLnGPHpmW9pIa77t0Yxhb2hl6Y1.jpg
Photo: Trade Cabinet Secretary Moses Kuria

However, Linturi has distanced himself from the sentiments of Kuria in maize importation where he threatened to import Maize into the country if the farmers did not release the maize they are allegedly holding.

Linturi further went ahead to say that he is the custodian of how much food we need as a country and how much is the deficit.

"So I will not answer to what is being reported in the social media.Hold your horses because I want to give you a position that I am ready to defend. I need to have statistics before I can answer that. I Will give a more comprehensive report on the national food status at a later date when I have all the data. Relax, you will have food," Linturi said.