Would You Quit Sh100,000 Job in Kenya to Earn Sh200,000 in the UAE? Kenyans Online Give Their Take

B6B9DB4C-D6FB-419F-B4C3-3B2207AAF8B4.jpg

Would you leave Kenya for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) if you secured a job that pays double your current salary?

This was the subject of an online discussion triggered by comedian Captain Otoyo, who asked Kenyans on social media to give their views on the matter.

“Would you prefer to stay in Kenya with a Ksh100,000 salary or got to UAE for Ksh200,000 salary?” he posed.

The post attracted mixed reactions with some Kenyans stating that they would rather earn less in their motherland than move to the UAE while others were of the contrary opinion.

Victor Schwartz said, “In the UAE, African workers stay in hostels of about 8 persons per room…Life is so expensive, the climate is so extreme. Even with 60k, better stay in Kenya.”

Becky Adhiambo wrote, “UAE all the way…no doubt about it…my second year in Dubai and am loving it.”

Patrick Chirchir quipped, “Kenya is the best place to be…I have been in Qatar and across Europe…. France, Belgium, etc but Kenya is the best.”

Godwin Wanjuhi stated, “If you own a good brain, being in Kenya it’s a good idea, work for five years only save and start your own business.”

Elizabeth Nyambura said, “I would sacrifice to go to UAE, save and come back home to invest bcos there I will not have too much expenses thus making it easier for me to save.”

Nya’Siaya Liz noted, “But I’ve been staying happily in Kenya without earning, with 100k I’ll make my own heaven in Kenya.”

Samson N commented, “You’ll be paid 100k in Kenya and taxed almost half, UAE Express.”

Pilijack Mto explained, “As for me No regrets at all, in fact, I regret wasting my time in Kenya for 15yrs I saved nothing but coming to gulf only 3yrs have been able to build a home for my parents, now mine is on the way thanks to God for this opportunity here. No regret.”

Paul Kamande said, “Better be in Kenya a million times. We’ve been in the Middle East, you save and save and when you come back you are as good as blind, not updated with business in your country, you invest wrongly and you are back to square one, left more frustrated than even those you left here. Better to be Kenya a million times I repeat.”

On his part, Otoyo said, “I think that if you are not married then you are better off in UAE. Chapa kazi miaka tano, save rudi nyumbani,fanya mambo makubwa.”