University Graduate Sold School Research Project Idea for Ksh166M

AD6D6324-C5AB-4F29-A25B-9333C4FF7E7C.jpeg

Hilda Moraa, a graduate at Strathmore University changed over her fourth-year project into a startup which she sold for Ksh166 million ($1.7 million) in 2015.

Moraa graduated in 2011 with a degree in Business Information Technology and for four years a while later, the Obama Foundation individual invested the greater part of her energy building an organization known as Weza Tele, a mobile solution firm in the distribution, supply chain, and monetary services.

"The idea for the project came to me when I was functioning as a data analyst at a huge worldwide beverage and distribution company.

In the middle of the years, Moraa and another group had endeavored to innovate a product known as MyOrder which failed.
Weza Tele won the top prize at the 2011 Mobile BootCamp and in 2015 financial firm AFB bought it for Ksh166 million. Moraa was then a 26-year-old entrepreneur.

"I led the whole process from negotiations and settling of the deal including guaranteeing the smooth change of WezaTele's tech group incorporating with Jumo's worldwide groups.

"My role in this acquisition additionally designing the strategy the new channel innovations in the SME space just as recognizing the strategic partners including the right external expertise, for example, legal, tax, and compliance expected to effectively finalize the negotiation," she reviewed.

During the Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2015 held in Nairobi and graced by the US 44th President Barrack Obama, Moraa expressed she declined offers to join Oxford University and work at Google to pursue her startup ideas.

Among her accomplishments are being named as one of the 50, Africa's most promising innovators by Global Shaker in 2020, one of the Quartz Africa top 30 trailblazers in Africa in 2018, and Kenyan's among Forbes 30 Most Promising Young African Entrepreneurs of 2016.

In April 2020, the Loreto Limuru High School graduate was appointed to the Covid-19 ICT and Innovations Advisory Committee for Kenya.

Moraa currently is the CEO of Pezesha, a digital financial ecosystem connecting and empowering the underserved in Africa through its strong value chain that involves financial training, credit decisioning, and interfacing MSMEs with moderate financing.

"As the Founder, I am responsible for entire strategy, innovations, talent acquisitions, resource management, partnerships, and carrying out the organizations' vision, mission, and by and overall direction," she states on her LinkedIn page