UK-Based Kenyan Mother Demands Justice for Death of Her Two Sons

8ABE96E1-4A1A-4E81-88BD-A91A705CDF63.png

A UK-based Kenyan woman has demanded speedy investigations and arrest of those behind the killing of her two sons.

Lucy Wanjiru’s sons Fredrick Mureithi (30) and Victor Mwangi (25) were lynched by villagers in Kitengela on August 8th alongside their friends Mike George (29) and Nicholas Musa (28) on suspicion of being cattle thieves.

The deceased left their homes in Syokimau on Saturday riding three sports motorbikes to Kisanju, Kajiado County where they celebrated Victor’s 25th birthday. The following day, they left for home in the evening but one of their bikes developed a mechanical problem along the way, bringing the journey to a halt.

It is while trying to fix the bike at around 11 pm that they were attacked by a group of herdsmen, who accused them of plotting to steal their livestock. All the four were killed on the spot and their bikes torched.

Wanjiru was overcome by emotions after landing at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) from the UK on Sunday. She recounted the last time when she spoke to her sons before they disappeared, and later on found dead at City Mortuary.

“I spoke to them last on Friday (August 6th) and Victor informed me they were going to celebrate his birthday and I sent them some money…the following day, I tried calling them but the phones were switched off,” Wanjiru said.

She then called a neighbor, a friend, and a pastor to help her search for her sons after sensing danger as it was unusual for them to spend a day without talking to her.

“On Tuesday nikaambia pastor sababu walikuwa waende kanisani na apostle Ben na akaniambia usijali mum kwa sababu waliniambia watakuja ndio nikapigiwa simu nikaambiwa watoto wangu wameuliwa,” Wanjiru added.

Wanjiru, who relocated to the UK in 2018 in search of greener pastures, denied claims that her sons were criminals.

“All I want is justice for my sons because they were not criminals,” she added.

Police are yet to arrest any suspect in connection with the deaths. Muriithi and Mwangi will be laid to rest at their rural home in Nyahururu on Friday