Two Kenyan High School Girls Land Scholarships to Study and Play Basketball in the US

Serengeti

Staff member
Two Kenyan High School Girls Land Scholarships to Study and Play Basketball in the US
Two Kenyan high school female students have landed scholarships to study and play basketball in the US.

The two, Medina Okot Mullah and Babra Diana Aranda, played as forwards for the Kaya Tiwi Secondary School basketball team.

They won the scholarships after impressing American scouts during the Tusk under-17 basketball trials at YMCA in Nairobi, according to Nation.

Okot, a Form Three student, and Aranda, a Form Two student are expected to join Danville Christian Academy, a private Christian high school in Danville, Kentucky.

Billy Inmon, vice chairman of the board of Danville Christian Academy, said: “I have been excited to help some of these kids to come to the US and change their lives forever.”

Inmon said they gave been taking Kenyan girls before and ensuring they place them into good universities on full scholarships after high school.

Okot, 6’5, and Aranda, 6’1, were part of the Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) women’s basketball team for this year’s National Classic basketball league.

Kaya Tiwi Secondary School principal Robert Aran congratulated the two students although his wish was for them to complete their high school education in Kenya before moving abroad.

“As a principal, I want to say that am very happy that my students have the talents to attract scouts from the US schools and colleges, but I feel it is not the right time. They are bright students who have been posting good grades, the reason I would want them to go after they are done with studies,” he said.