Respect and praise for our Kenya Airways crew

Sanyatti

Long post alert****

I do not remember the last time I took an afternoon flight from Kisumu to Nairobi,but I had to, this past Saturday 20/12/2021.

After the pilot gave the instructions to the cabin crew to arm the doors and cross-check ready for take off,we spent a brief time on the runway.I then remember vaguely the usual brief from the cockpit about the flight time and some expected turbulence along the way.I didn’t think much of it.

Kenya Airways flight KQ656 was shortly airborne after the Captain apologized for the slight delay on the tarmac.Me thinks he was either waiting for clearance from air traffic controllers to leave for Nairobi or he was praying about the uncertain afternoon flight.

For those familiar with this flight path,it takes less than five minutes to reach cruise level.But on this particular afternoon I realized something was rather unusual. We seemed to have run into some very heavy headwinds and some crosswinds as well.One could tell the Captain was fighting to keep the plane in the air and on a particular path.

Losing altitude about 7 times on that turbulent stretch was one of the most scary experiences in my many years of flying.The screams and the eerie feeling that accompanied that afternoon flight are simply unforgettable.For some strange reason,I was composed all the while and found myself offering lots of assurance to the passengers seated around me that we would be fine; but those 10 or so minutes felt like a lifetime.It’s the kind of experience you wouldn’t wish for your worst of enemies.

It would be remiss of me not to point out some heroes/heroines that often go uncelebrated; the flight attendants and the cockpit crew. After finally getting to cruise level and the plane had stabilized,the pilot apologized profusely for the turbulence to which he received a thunderous applause from the relieved passengers. His reassuring voice communicated courage and a well tamed machismo. What followed next was simply breathtaking.

The flight attendants moved swiftly into position like nurses on duty from row to row checking up on the passengers while demonstrating unusual and genuine concern.This particular stewardess deserves special mention for reaching out to this passenger who was hysterical and completely devastated from the experience.The passenger’s tears flowed freely as she was hugged by this outstanding stewardess;a mental picture of hope that will forever be etched on my mind.Kenya Airways,you are truly the PRIDE OF AFRICA.I was overly impressed by this personalized service on KQ656.

I remember this elderly lady seated a row behind me,who developed breathing complications but I was on hand to calm her down and helped her process the ordeal with deep breadths as she complained of a tightening chest.Her eyes told one story:this is it! But I remained positive and reassured her that her Maker had not called it a day on her and the rest of us by extension.

When I settled in my seat,my immediate Neighbour, a gentleman, spoke to me albeit in some low tones, “I was about to hold your hand tightly because I have never experienced this kind of turbulence.” I must confess that at some point I thought we would not make it through the turbulence but the thought did not hinder me from reassuring the 4 to 5 other passengers I could reach out to.

As a matter of procedure,the pilot had to inform us of the weather in Nairobi as we neared the end of this rather short and long flight.When he mentioned some cloud cover over Nairobi,the jubilant mood among the passengers quickly dissipated.My assurances to my fellow passengers seemed to land on deaf ears: and I could understand why.Now I understand why some people prefer to travel by road even if it means taking many more hours than flying.

The touch down in Nairobi was received with another thunderous applause. However, the usual “Ladies and gentlemen,welcome to Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.I hope you had a pleasant flight…” was received with mixed expressions of sarcastic laughter.

I was once again thoroughly impressed when the pilot was on hand to wish all the passengers a great evening as we disembarked.

I HAVE NOTHING BUT UTMOST RESPECT AND PRAISE FOR OUR KENYA AIRWAYS CREW.You guys ROCK.👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽