President Uhuru Appoints 34 Judges, Rejects Six from List of 40

2C041826-59CD-40CE-95E5-8DFEC7798ADE.jpeg

President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday approved the appointment of 34 new judges of the 41 proposed to him by the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) in 2019.

In a gazette notice dated June 3, seven judges have been appointed to the Court of appeal, nine to the employment and labour relations court, and 18 to the environment and land court.

The head of state has rejected six nominees. They include; Aggrey Muchelule, George Odunga, Weldon Korir and Prof Joel Ngugi who were recommended for the Court of Appeal.

Justices Ngugi and Odunga were part of the three judge bench that declared the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) null and void.
The initial number of judges sent Uhuru’s approval was 41, but one person died.

Uhuru appoints judges

The late lawyer Harrison Ogweno Okeche who died in October was among the nominees submitted to the president for appointment to the Employment and Labour Relations Court.

Judges approved for the Court of Appeal are Msagha Mbogholi, Hellen Omondi, Mumbi Ngugi, Francis Tuiyott, Pauline Nyamweya, Jessie Lesiit, and Imaana Laibuta.

Those appointed to the Employment and Labour Relations Court are Baari Christine Noontatua, Gakeri Jacob Kariuki, Keli Jemima Wanza, Mwaure Ann Ngibuini, Matanga Bernard Odongo Manani, Rutto Stella Chemtai, Kebira Ocharo, Kitiku Agnes Mueni-Nzei, and Nderitu David Njagi.

Those moving to the Environment and Land Court include; Mboya Oguttu Joseph, Naikuni Lucas Leperes, Mwanyale Michael Ngolo, Addraya Edda Dena, Kimani Lilian Gathoni, Kamau Joseph Mugo, Wabwoto Karoph Edward, and Koross Anne Yatich Kipingor.

Others are Gicheru Maxwell Nduiga, Mogeni Ann Jacqueline Akhalemesi, Ongarora Fred Nyagaka, Christopher Kyania Nzili, Mugo David Mwangi, Omollo Lynette Achieng’, Washe Emmanuel Mutwana, Nyukuri Annet, Murigi Theresa Wairimu, and Asati Esther.

Last year, former Chief Justice David Maraga said the president was to blame for the backlog in courts as he declined to appoint judges.

“You know I have respect for you as our President, you also know that I have unsuccessfully sought an appointment with you to sort out these issues but it has been futile leaving me with no option but to make this public,” he said