Olunga: Kenya striker emerges J1-League MVP after winning Golden Boot

The transcending striker turns into the first African to win the honor in the Japanese, J1-League. Just a boy from Lucky summer Nairobi, Kenya

Kenya striker Michael Olunga has been delegated as the J-league MVP for the closed 2020 season.

The lean striker scored 28 goals for Kashiwa Reysol and encouraged them to a seventh-place finish in the closed season.

The Sun King completed the season as third best scorers with 60 goals. Champions Kawasaki Frontale scored 88 while Yokohama F Marion, who completed ninth, scored 69.

Olunga assumed an extraordinary job for the club and his impact prompted his delegated as the best in the closed season.

It was a great season for me in 2020," the Kenya international Olunga said.

"I was able to score a lot of goals. I would like to thank the people at Kashiwa Reysol for their support. I am very honored to be Kashiwa Reysol's first top scorer and the first African MVP

The former Gor Mahia striker went appreciated his teammates too for their role in his achievements.

"Glad to be named the Most Valuable Player (MVP) 2020 in the Meiji Yasuda J-league," Olunga posted on his social media account.

"First, I want to thank God for this opportunity and blessings throughout this season.

"Also, the collective effort from myself, my teammates, the entire Kashiwa Reysol fraternity and fans helped make this dream realizable for me, and for this, I am grateful.

"I hope this is the beginning of more achievements in my career. Thank you all once again and happy holidays."

Olunga, who played 32 games for Kashiwa Reysol in the 2020 J1 season, also won the Golden Boot.

This was the first time an African player won the MVP in the J1-League.

Last edited: