Ngatia Questioned on KRA Debt & High-End Car Collection

MajorBoko

Ngatia Questioned on KRA Debt & High-End Car Collection
Senior Counsel Fred Ngatia was tasked to explain his tax arrears at KRA, high-end vehicles and missing information on his wealth declaration forms.
FRED-NGATIA-SUPREME.jpg

Ngatia who appeared before the Judicial Service Commission on Tuesday, April 20, to interview for the position of Chief Justice said that despite being wealthy, he did not like to show extravagance, which lawyers in Nairobi are fond of.

"You have said that you have avoided being a conspicuous consumption person. Please explain what you meant because looking at your wealth declaration, I saw very high-end cars listed, isn't that conspicuous consumption?" JSC Chair Olive Mugenda asked.
"I meant social circles. I meant that I am not in social circles, I'm not in most of the new approaches to life, I prefer to hold to my own. I prefer the solace of being in a library as contrasted to being in social circles. I'm one of those lawyers who are not on any of the social media platforms, I prefer to hold my peace," he explained.

JSC commissioner Evelyne Olwande then probed the senior counsel as to why the Kenya Revenue Authority had reported that he was not tax compliant.

In his defence, Ngatia said that KRA has accused him of accruing Ksh 1 million in penalties which he paid.