Khadija Mohammed Hamid: Former Lamu MCA now selling street food says its better than employment

30CDD1E1-D4CD-40E4-BC25-85344EA58D3C.jpeg

Former Lamu Nominated Khadija Mohammed Hamid is now vending street food after having served as an MCA from 2013 to 2017.

Speaking to Nation, the former MCA said she started a food vending business as a source of income and helping the community.

She also noted that the street vending business is better than being on contract or being employed, adding that she still has interest in politics.

“After leaving the position, I started hawking food instead of seeking employment. It is better than being on contract or employed… Don’t be surprised when you see me back in parliament. I am still in politics,” she told the Nation.

Khadija also opened up on challenges that came along with her new job,noting that she was stigmatized with people thinking she was frustrated with the transition of earning a lot of money to street vending.

“They look down on me but have no idea that I am making money. Every job is honourable regardless of its nature,” she added.

She also said she prefers her job saying employment was inconsistent because one day you are working and the next you are fired over minor problems.

“You don’t have to work in an office, sometimes, in employment, you lose your job in an instant and left stranded. People undermine the type of work am doing but it pays,” she remarked