Kenyan Man in the US Sentenced to 20 Years in Prison for Attempted ******

Nelly

A Kenyan man in Minnesota has been sentenced to 20 years in prison after he was found guilty of attempted ******.

67-year-old Joseph Ndichu Kinyanjui of Rochester, MN was accused of attacking his wife with a hammer two years ago.

In July, an Olmsted County District Court jury convicted him of first-degree premeditated attempted ******, second-degree killing, first-degree assault, and second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon. The judges further found that the offense was committed in the presence of a child.

On Wednesday, Judge Joseph Chase sentenced Kinyanjui to 240 months in state prison, the maximum sentence allowed for the crime. He will receive credit for 855 days he has already served at the Olmsted County Adult Detention Center.

On May 8th, 2019, officers from the Rochester police department were called to a house in the 5100 block of 54th Avenue Northwest at about 7 pm, where a 40-year-old woman and her daughter were waiting outside.

Rochester Police Capt. Casey Moilanen said the woman said her father was assaulting her 66-year-old mother.

The woman suffered a fractured skull, two broken wrists, a liver laceration, a broken lower back, and multiple facial lacerations. A Rochester police officer found two of her teeth on the bedroom floor.

“Words are inadequate to convey the horrific facts of this attack. One need only form the mental picture, however, of a hammer being swung at a human head to comprehend the extreme violence of this crime,” judge Chase said Wednesday.

Kinyanjui told the court that he was acting in self-defense and that he fell on his wife while they were both holding the hammer.

During the sentence hearing, the woman’s daughter Pauline Ndichu read a statement her mother had written about the attack and the effects it has had on her, her children, and her grandchildren.

“I still remember that day and parts of it still haunt me. The impact of the assault has completely changed my life. I cannot begin to describe the feeling of terror I felt when I was attacked by my husband who was trying to **** me,” the statement read.

“I am a survivor. I am still the same person that I was before this happened to me, but now I have physical and emotional scars that remind me how strong I have become. He most likely wishes I was dead, wounded, and broken. I won’t give the defendant that pleasure. I am more alive and stronger than ever. He hasn’t taken away my will to live. He hasn’t broken my spirit. These scars are a constant reminder of what happened, but don’t define my future.”

Last edited: