Kamala Harris remembers late mum who succumbed to colon cancer

9991C49E-DD10-4F69-97E5-8B5A0A852793.jpeg
The Vice President of the United States Kamala Harris on Thursday, February 4 remembered her late mother Shyamala Gopalan Harris who died from collon cancer.

Taking it to Instagram, Kamala disclosed that her mother who was doctor relocated to US to help other scientists find cure to cancer.

Unfortunately, her mother got diagnosed with the disease and passed on a year after.

”My mother, Shyamala Gopalan Harris, came to this country with a dream: to cure cancer. She became a breast cancer scientist and worked for decades in the lab to advance the fight against the deadly disease.
It was a shock when she told us in 2008 that she herself was diagnosed with colon cancer, and a great sadness when she passed away a year later. I miss her every day. I know the President, First Lady, and so many Americans understand that loss,” she said in a statement shared on her Instagram account.
The Vice President vowed to work closely with the President Joe Biden in ensuring they win the fight over cancer by finding a cure.

Kamala Harris

”My mother would not want us to give up on her dream. @potus and I believe we are closer to a cure than ever before.
On this World Cancer Day, we are committed to supporting the scientists, researchers, and health care workers who devote their lives, as my mother did, to helping fight this disease. Together, we can put an end to cancer.”
Many online users who bumped into the emotional post camped at the comment section showering her with encouraging and strong words.

Some wished that a cure for cancer would be found soon enough to prevent deaths.

We managed to collect some of the comments from the Instagram post, check them below.

alifriedman20 : ”God bless your mother’s memory and the research she did. Because of people like her people like me were able to have medicines to help in our breast cancer fight.”

ramtarcan: ”You are one of a kind Vice President. God Bless you and your family.”

carsin818 : ”Thank you for sharing your Mother’s story. I have just survived my battle with colon cancer. Praying for a cure .”
zahriabarnum: ”I know your mother would be so proud.”