I Spent Sh4 Million on COVID-19 Treatment, Kenyan Lawyer Donald Kipkorir Says

CC4F3A95-8ECB-4D2F-9902-5A9F060FB55B.jpg

Flamboyant Nairobi-based lawyer Donald Kiprorir says he spent nearly Sh4 million on treatment after contracting COVID-19 last year.

Taking to Facebook on Friday, Kiprorir, who was hospitalized at the Aga Khan Hospital, said he is yet to fully recover from the disease despite spending an arm and a leg on treatment.

“When I got COVID-19 in the first week of November 2020, I began a three-month journey through a dark tunnel,” he says.

“My lungs collapsed. I was gasping for air. I was on oxygen. I lost my voice. I was treated through IV. I was in solitary isolation for nearly a month. When I removed the oxygen to go to the bathroom that was hardly a meter away, it was like was drowning.”

The attorney was among the first Kenyans alongside Deputy President William Ruto and lawyer Ahmednassir Abdullahi to receive the Russian-made Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine, which was retailing at Sh8,000 per shot.

Kipkorir argues that there is no cost not worth paying to avoid COVID-19 and urged the government to allow Kenyans to get any vaccine available to them.

“It is the worst experience and very expensive to treat. It is therefore prudent for everyone to take the vaccines available; whether the free one, AstraZeneca from GoK or Sputnik V from the private sector. Or any other vaccines that will be available howsoever gotten. Paying even Kshs. 20,000/= for a vaccine is worth it. You can’t compare with the cost and pain when you contract COVID-19,” he wrote.

“Unless we reach Herd-Immunity by vaccinating 70% of our population, our country will remain under lockdown. In future, you won’t travel out of the Country unless you have been vaccinated.”

“It has cost me nearly Ksh4million to reach where I am now and not yet done. And there is no insurance for COVID-19, “ he added.