History Made as Kenya Wins First Ever Medal in Walk Race at U20 World Athletics Championship in Nairobi

TheKamams

wanyonyi-pix.jpg
Kenya made ever history at the ongoing U20 World Athletics Championship after Kenya’s Heristone Wanyonyi Saturday made history by winning first ever medal for the walk race.
The 18-year-old Wanyonyi battled with India’s Amit Khatri before breaking away at the bell for the historic men’s 10,000m race walk in personal best 42 minutes and 10.84 seconds.
His Gold is first ever medal by any Kenyan at world championship level either in youth, junior or senior category in race walk. Amit settled for silver in 42:17.94 as Paul McGrath from Spain clocked personal best 42:26.11 to take bronze.wanyoomba-pix.jpg
“I am over the moon after handing Kenya its maiden race walk victory at any world championship. This is a major achievement for me so far and I don’t know how to celebrate it,” said Wanyonyi, who could not believe that he won the race.
“I am still stunned considering that I was the slowest in the pack with 45:47.5 while Amit was the fastest with 40:40.97,” explained Wanyonyi,
Celebrating, he linked his victory to his primary school sports teacher who pushed him to into walking race where he settled for 10,000KM and above.wanyoline-pix.jpg
Wanyonyi, who has just cleared his secondary school education at Ortum Boys, West Pokot, said his dream now is to participate at the 2024 Paris Olympics.
Prior to the race, Wanyonyi confidentially said that he was going for not only victory but a gold.
“It won’t be just about participation, I want to give Kenya a gold medal,” said a confident Wanyonyi.
Wanyonyi hopes that his victory will inspire more youngsters to take up the sport and urged Athletics Kenya and the government to also focus on developing other events apart from middle- and long-distance events.
wanyonyifinish-pix.jpg
Wanyonyi's feat saw Kenya assert itself at the top of the medal standings with seven medals; four gold, a silver and two bronze medals.