"Guilty as Charged" 70-Year-Old man Sentenced to 20-Years in Jail for Defiling a Minor

TheKamams

Kabarnet Law Court has found 70-year-old man guilty of defiling a 5-year-old girl.
According to the Resident Magistrate Vienna Amboko SAID THAT Michael Chebotin was found guilty beyond any reasonable doubt that he had s3xually assaulted a 3-year-old girl on April 2, 2020 at Koisir Village in Baringo North Sub-County.
“The court should consider the scar the victim has to live with for the rest of her life,” said Joseck Abwajo, the State prosecutor. The girl, as a result of the sexual abuse, contracted syphilis. That aggravated the offence,” he added.
Defending himself, Mr Chebotin said that he could not even think of defiling a child whose age is that of his grandchildren hence denied committing the offense. However, the magistrate declined his plea and that of his lawyers and slammed him with a 20-years jail term.
download (1).jpg
“I am an old man, who can’t defile a 5-year-old girl. She is like my grandchild,” said Chebotin.
Chebotin through his lawyer further pleaded with the court to have mercy on him and be lenient on the sentencing citing that his children had suffered due to his absence as he was the only breadwinner of the family claiming that he is an orphan.
Convicting him, the magistrate said that he had fully factored the period he had stayed in remand as he had been remanded since April 7, 2020. He was given a chance to appeal within 14 days.
“I am of the view that a 20-year imprisonment of the accused will serve a deterrent purpose [to other would-be offenders]. I, therefore, sentence the accused to 20 years in prison. He can, however, fine an appeal within 14 days,” ruled Magistrate Vienna Amboko.