Former First Lady gets global award for promoting dialogue

Cascabel

798EF532-2020-46F3-88BB-522E5743C6B0.jpeg

Former First Lady Mama Ngina Kenyatta yesterday received her 2019 Macky Sall Prize for Dialogue in Africa.

The prize was awarded on December 11 last year at the Museum of Black Civilisation in Dakar, Senegal by President Macky Sall and received by Defence Cabinet Secretary Dt. Monica Juma on behalf of the Former First Lady who couldn’t travel because of the Covid-19 outbreak.

She was handed the award Juma.

The annual prize is awarded to African personalities who use dialogue to avert conflict on the continent and is named after the Senegalese President Macky Sall who is a celebrated African mediator.

The Former First Lady was awarded for continuously and quietly using dialogue to diffuse tension in the country and the region over the years especially for her leading role in ending the political tension that followed Kenya’s 2017 General Election.

Speaking when she received the award from Juma at her Nairobi home, Mama Ngina thanked CIRID for the recognition saying it was an honour for Kenya’s frontline role in the search for lasting peace and stability in Eastern Africa.

“I didn’t know that there are people who know where we’ve come from as a country and how they settled on me as the recipient of the award. I am grateful,” the Former First Lady said and thanked Juma for collecting the award on her behalf.

Juma was accompanied to the prize handover ceremony by Head of Public Service Joseph Kinyua also attended by First Lady Margaret Kenyatta

E40DF6E6-A61C-43E5-AFB4-8535B1808058.jpeg