Ezekiel Mutua organises fundraiser for Firirinda hitmaker Mzee Munyonyi

FE2A0F4B-2119-4FF4-8981-E47C8AEA03FA.jpeg

Kenya Films and Classification Board CEO Ezekiel Mutua has announced plans to organise a fundraiser for ailing Firirinda hitmaker Mzee Dickson Munyonyi.

The KFCB boss declared that this weekend will be a ‘Firirinda Weekend’ in honour of the musician.

Mutua also said he will start a paybill kitty to cater for the musician’s medical bill, further pledging KSh 100,000.

”I have declared this coming weekend, Friday to Sunday, a “Firirinda Weekend” in honour and support of the ailing author of the beautiful song Mzee Dickson Munyonyi,” wrote Mutua.
He added;

“A paybill number in his name will be communicated once we establish contacts with the family and I will start off the kitty with KSh 100K and let us make this song trend, let us get back to our roots, but more importantly, let us use the Firirinda Challenge to support the author as we take a journey down memory lane and celebrate content that promotes our culture.”
Mutua also urged deejays to play the viral song in social events as well as encourage revellers to donate towards the medical bill.

“Deejays in all social events are hereby requested to play Firirinda and encourage revellers and fans to donate towards the medical bill of the veteran musician who, we are reliably informed, is undergoing medical treatment,” he added.

Reactions

Collins Wanderi: Good work Dr. Ezekiel Mutua. Local artists are not able to register their works to protect their intellectual and proprietary rights. I am happy that you are alive to this fact and I hope that when I approach you to assist artists whose works have been illegally expropriated by foreigners you will help with the ropes through the government bureaucracy

Timothy Muchiri: Thank you. Nice one coming from you. At least now the name Dr. Mutua is not synonymous with banning artists. Encouraging to see that we can have non religious music which is clean content.

Cephas Gathii Kinuthia: This is the best initiative! For someone who has brought the country together so fast, it is only right we stand by him! God bless you

Apst Elias Wekesa: I wish every government appointments were based on passion…you are great and fit in what you do!